Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Beowulf LRJ #3

Kelsey Vandegrift
MS. Peifer
Hour 5 10IB
9 December 2008

Specific values shown in the last section of Beowulf, "The Battle with the Fire-Breathing Dragon", include loyalty and leadership. Beowulf is loyal to his people and their leader until his end. "I risked my life/ often when I was young. Now I am old,/ but as king of the people I shall pursue this fight/ for the glory of winning" (Heaney 2511-2514). Beowulf has risked his life over and over again for his people because as king it is his job to protect them for his whole life. Beowulf is not the only loyal person worth mentioning. The men who he leads are more loyal to him than any other person. "Your deeds are famous,/ so stay resolute, my lord, defend your life now/ with the whole of you strength. I shall stand by you" (2666-2668). As long as Beowulf has men loyal to him he will continue to be the ultimate hero until the moment he dies.

This section of Beowulf is different than others because the reader is exposed to something close to a weakness of Beowulf's. In his battle with Grendel, Beowulf fights the gigantic monster with his bare hands and is still able to kill him. "I would rather not/ use a weapon if I knew another way/ to grapple with the dragon... But I shall be meeting molten venom/ in the fire he breathes so I go forth/ in mail-shirt and shield" (2518-2524). Beowulf has decided to arm himself with in this battle. Previously Beowulf did use a sword in his attempt to kill Grendel's but mother but this situation is different. A shield and mail-shirt are meant to protect the warrior and a sword is meant to hurt the opposition. This shows how Beowulf is more concerned that his enemy could harm him more than he ever has before. This shows Beowulf is worried about facing the dragon and is preparing for a different kind of fight.

Beowulf's death is a very honorable end for the magnificent hero. His final obstacle and the last danger to his people has been destroyed. One aspect of his death that makes it especially honorable is the fact that he died while saving his people. "... I give thanks. that I behold this treasure here in front of me,/ That I have been allowed to leave my people/ so well endowed on the day I die" (2795-2798). Throughout the entire ordeal with the dragon Beowulf's thoughts are always with his people and making sure they will be safe when he is gone. Another part of his death that makes it honorable is Beowulf excepts his death has come. "...he still spoke/ for he well knew his days in the world/ had been lived out to the end: his allotted time/ was drawing to a close, death was very near" (2725-2728). Beowulf has lived his life to his utmost potential and has been a great king. Now that he is dying he is ready for it because he has done everything he was meant to do.

No comments: